With the 2017 home and away season done and dusted, it’s time to shine the spotlight on some individuals.
Two-time Adelaide Premiership player Ben Hart has had his microscope out this week taking a closer look at his Top 10 defenders in the AFL throughout season 2017.
Hart's Top 10 defenders of 2017
10. Tom Jonas (Port Adelaide) - A rock on the last line. Strong committed and rarely beaten, always up for the contest against big or small opposition and efficient with ball.
9. Elliot Yeo (West Coast) - Great speed and vigour in his attack on the contest, competes hard in air and the ground. Always looking to take the game on.
8. Sam Docherty (Carlton) - Defensive general who organizes well. Always finds himself in the right spots in defence and offense and uses the ball to his team’s advantage. Good 1 v 1.
7. Jeremy McGovern (West Coast) - Marks the ball as well as anyone. Rarely beaten one on one. Always positions himself to attack the ball with vigour and is always on the hunt for an intercept.
6. Jake Lever (Adelaide) - Reads the play extremely well and is always positioning himself to impact on the contest. Makes good strong decisions to mark or spoil. Calm with ball in hand.
5. Jeremy Howe (Collingwood) - Master of the airways. His intercept work has been elite and he became very damaging with his kicking, launching many attacks from the back half.
4. Michael Hibberd (Melbourne) - Outstanding in his contest work against opponents tall and small. Very courageous in his attack on the ball and damaging with his kicking skills.
3. Rory Laird (Adelaide) - Ball magnet who provides great bounce off the half-back line, good one on one and works back hard to help his fellow defenders. Efficient with ball.
2. Michael Hurley (Essendon) - Pillar of strength in a key post. Rarely beaten in one on one contests and works hard in offense with good skills to set up attacking forward movements.
1. Alex Rance (Richmond) - Competitive beast who is always hard to play against. Reads the ball with excellence, positioning himself perfectly and always impacting the contest. Makes good decisions with ball.