Essendon CEO Xavier Campbell says the Bombers are planning to be “aggressive” again in the offseason this year.
After securing the services of Jake Stringer, Adam Saad and Devon Smith in the trade period last year, Campbell has explained the kind of player the Dons want to target moving forward.
LISTEN to Friday night’s Essendon v St Kilda clash LIVE on 1116 SEN from 6:00pm AEDT with Gerard Whateley, Anthony Hudson, Garry Lyon and Danny Frawley
“We have got the ability to be aggressive again and we want to be aggressive and we want to keep challenging to improve our list and be playing finals football, and hopefully get to a point where we can win a premiership,” Campbell told SEN Mornings.
“I think John (Worsfold) has sort of spoken to continually building the depth through our midfield and we know the modern game, so much is played through there and the midfield is such an important part of your overall team and how you perform.
“For us, we want to keep adding value there.
“Adrian Dodoro and list management, we have a meeting on Monday, so Adrian has been very busy in that space and he has had a successful last couple of years in particular.”
However, Campbell reaffirmed Essendon hasn’t had discussions with Brisbane’s Dayne Beams, after the club released a statement about the issue yesterday.
“It was quite a definitive sort of report around that,” Campbell said.
“I think at times you don’t necessary have a platform to respond.
“There are some flow-on impacts sometimes that come about.
“People in the media aren’t privy to discussions going on behind closed doors between the clubs.
“When you reach a decision like that (to release a statement), you reach it in consultation with different stakeholders.
“That was such a definitive report, we thought it was only appropriate, and there is some sensitivities both from the club’s side but also from Beams’ side as well.”