"No timelines" on new Port Adelaide deal says Gray

SEN - Wed, 19th Feb 2020 - 0 Comments

Robbie Gray says he is not giving too much consideration to a new Port Adelaide deal.

The 31-year-old comes out of contract at the end of 2020 and his situation was recently described by Kane Cornes as a conundrum facing the Power.

But Gray insists he is in no rush and will leave negotiations to his manager Tom Petroro to simply focus on what he does best – play football.

“Our management and the club have spoken,” Gray said on SEN SA Breakfast.

“At my age these things take a little bit longer. I’ve got to concentrate on getting a kick first, probably.

“I’m sure we’ll see how things go in the future.”

The three-time Power best and fairest also said a timeline on a new contract is unclear at this stage.

“To be honest, I haven’t really given it too much thought,” he added.

“My focus has been getting my body right, training hard and preparing for the season.

“There’s no timelines or anything like that, so we’ll just see what happens there.”

Gray admits he struggled to find full fitness in 2019 but is doing everything he can to prepare himself for the new season as the Power chase a finals berth.

“The body is feeling really good. I suppose that was the biggest thing for me after last year was the body wasn’t great, the knee in particular,” he said further.

“I’ve been able to put a lot of work into that across the off-season and get in a really good space with that.”

The Power will tune up with Marsh Community Series fixtures against Brisbane in Moreton Bay on Sunday and the Western Bulldogs in Whyalla on Saturday, March 7.

They kick off the 2020 season proper against Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium on Saturday, March 21.

Listen to Gray's chat with Kane Cornes and Andrew Hayes on SEN SA Breakfast below:

..
..